I remember it vividly. It was about 2 years ago… I was pregnant with Bells and I was standing in the queue at Boots (no doubt for yet more pregnancy vitamins). The lady behind me was having a battle with her toddler and where the pre-pregnant me would have probably tutted and turned away, the new broody me just smiled and said “terrible 2s?”…. “how did you guess?” she responded.
You see, people expect 2 year olds to have tantrums… but nobody warned me that the onset of this is WAY before 2 years of age. Case in point? Bells.
I find myself constantly battling with my own emotions, from frustration, to sympathy and to many times despair. I want to teach her that tantrums won’t get her anywhere and yet I know that she simply doesn’t understand her own emotions at this point. HOWEVER, this does not stop her from sometimes being a bit of a dick. The reasons for this week’s tantrums include:
- Her offering me her dummy and me taking it
- Putting her to bed because she couldn’t stay awake
- Offering her the clear dummy when she wanted the pink one
- The cat running away after she’d pulled his tail for the 9th time
- Not offering her my WHOLE bar of chocolate
- Covering her up with the duvet
- Me putting her down when she pointed to the floor to get down
- Stroking her head
- Offering her a grape
- Wrapping her in a towel without leaving her arms exposed
I think it’s safe to assume that toddlers are more of a walking contradiction than myself… and that really is saying something.
What are the reasons for your toddler’s tantrums this week?